More Sports

NEWS

ESPN Classic shop - footer image 2
World Cup, Lions & 6 Nations
Cricinfo logo
The home of cricket
ESPN Classic logo
The greatest moments in sport
Racing Live logo
Online motorsport coverage
ESPNsoccernet logo
World's site for the world game

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

French Open win for Russian tennis star Dinara Safina

The French Open has meant victory for Russian tennis star Dinara Safina who defeated compatriot Maria Sharapova with a 6-7 (6-8) 7-6 (7-5) 6-2 score in the fourth round.

Sharapova, although the top seed, had been struggling in earlier matches and many tennis commentators and fans were tipping Safina as the favourite to win.


Dinara SafinaHaving missed two set points in the opener, Safina saved a match point in the second set and then managed to gain the upper hand in the final decider.

Following the game a triumphant Dinara Safina said: "I knew I could beat her but I put too much pressure on myself and was way too passive. I was too dependent on her and I was 2-5 down in the second set and facing a match point.

"But I hit a winner on her match point and it changed things. Before I was just running and playing the ball back. But I had to focus on myself and not wait for her mistakes and let her dictate."

Maria Sharapova entered the French Open as the new world number one tennis player but she has never enjoyed clay and found it hard in her previous matches last week.

No comments: