More Sports

NEWS

ESPN Classic shop - footer image 2
World Cup, Lions & 6 Nations
Cricinfo logo
The home of cricket
ESPN Classic logo
The greatest moments in sport
Racing Live logo
Online motorsport coverage
ESPNsoccernet logo
World's site for the world game

Wednesday, May 28, 2008





Elliot Conti and Tyler Johnston are at home on the tennis court.
The Wilmington High School duo has teamed up to forge a trail through the post season that has led them to the Division I state tournament.
It is a new experience for the tandem to be playing on the same court — they are accustomed to playing on parallel singles courts.
For Conti, it is a return home. The WHS senior played his sophomore and junior years on the doubles court with Sean Walt. After Walt graduated in 2007, Conti went back to playing singles.
“I feel right at home playing doubles. I always have. Playing the whole season at singles, I still sort of felt out of place because I feel at home on the doubles court. It’s easier for me. I’m better at it. I was thrilled when Tyler said, ‘Lets play doubles.’ It just put me in a position where I am comfortable and confident winning matches,” said Conti.
Johnston, a junior, has played first singles for WHS for the past three seasons. He advanced to the state-qualifying game last season before falling to the eventual state runner-up. After another successful season to the singles court, Johnston decided to take the leap and join Conti on the doubles court.
“It took me a little while to think about it because I had come so close to making it to state in singles. It was a tough decision, but it seems to be paying off pretty well for me and Elliot. I like it,” said Johnston. “Doubles is just a new swing. Elliot had a good season, so it made sense for us to hook up and play some doubles.”
The two have not played doubles together for WHS, but have played together outside the prep arena.
“We have been playing around in challenge matches at our tennis club and around here. We have always had good chemistry together since we were such good friends. We were pretty good when we played together and that is what made the decision,” said Johnston.
Conti is glad to be back on the doubles court to finish his career at Wilmington.
“We had always talked about it since 7th grade … playing doubles together. The pieces just fell into place like they had been doing the last few years. It came time to make a decision to play doubles and it turned out to be a great decision,” said Conti.
While Conti is at home on the doubles court, it is a slight change for Johnston.
“It is a different swing. When I am on the singles court throughout the season it is all on myself. I have learned to cope with my own feelings,” said Johnston. “Having someone else on the court … you are confident in your partner. If things don’t go your way, you pump each other up and go right to the next point. It is definitely a different swing but I enjoy it a lot. Playing USTA tournaments, you usually play singles and doubles in the tournament. I play doubles in a lot of things. Singles or doubles, I am at home. Tennis is my home.”
The duo will take the court Friday morning at The Ohio State University.
Conti has seen state tournament action before — in the swimming pool, not the tennis court.
“It is always a goal (to make state tennis) no matter how realistic. This, to me, is probably a bigger accomplishment than qualifying for state two times in swimming just because I was always better at swimming and I was expected to succeed in swimming,” said Conti. “Tennis was my second sport that I dedicated less time to but had a lot of fun doing. Qualifying for state in this, I feel is a huge accomplishment since I never really expected to have this type of success.”
Johnston has tasted a piece of state-level tennis action, but could still feel some nervousness headed into Friday’s match.
“I think there is always going to be some nerves, especially with the hype that we are [one of few] Clinton County players to go to the state tournament,” said Johnston. “It is just a few points here or there and we would be the No. 1 seed going into the tournament.”
Nervous or not, the duo knows one thing — tennis is home.

No comments: