More Sports

NEWS

ESPN Classic shop - footer image 2
World Cup, Lions & 6 Nations
Cricinfo logo
The home of cricket
ESPN Classic logo
The greatest moments in sport
Racing Live logo
Online motorsport coverage
ESPNsoccernet logo
World's site for the world game

Friday, May 16, 2008

Brazil: Adriano delighted by national recall



Brazil: Adriano delighted by national recall

Adriano is on the mend and back on track. (Action Images / Alex Morton)
Friday May 16, 2008
SAO PAULO - Adriano has expressed his delight after being recalled by national coach Dunga for Brazil's upcoming World Cup qualifiers.

The 26-year-old striker, who is currently on loan at Sao Paulo from Internazionale, has been included in a 25-man squad that will play a pair of friendlies in the United States before resuming their World Cup qualifying campaign next month.

The Selecao face Canada in Seattle on May 31 and Venezuela in Foxboro on June 6, before playing South American qualifying zone matches against Paraguay in Asuncion on June 15 and Argentina in Belo Horizonte three days later.

"Playing for the national team has been a goal for me since I came to Sao Paulo," said Adriano.

"I'm getting into shape very well and this selection will motivate to work even harder.

"I have to thank the club and my team-mates for all they have done for me during my spell at Sao Paulo.

"If I am doing well, it is because they have always been by my side."

Adriano has been a key player for Sao Paulo since joining the club on loan in December and scored the winner on Wednesday when they beat Brazilian rivals Fluminense 1-0 in the first leg of the quarter-finals.


Have your say on 360 Forums

No comments: