More Sports

NEWS

ESPN Classic shop - footer image 2
World Cup, Lions & 6 Nations
Cricinfo logo
The home of cricket
ESPN Classic logo
The greatest moments in sport
Racing Live logo
Online motorsport coverage
ESPNsoccernet logo
World's site for the world game

Monday, May 12, 2008

McLaren: Title chance fading for Kovalainen

Bad luck for Kovalainen as he sustained a tyre puncture during the Turkish GP. (Action Images / Albert


ISTANBUL - Heikki Kovalainen is hoping his luck will finally turn, although he is already close to writing off his Formula One championship chances.

Kovalainen produced a brilliant qualifying performance ahead of Sunday's Turkish Grand Prix, placing his McLaren on the front row of the grid for the first time in his career.

Remarkably, such a display came just 13 days after being knocked unconscious during the Spanish Grand Prix following a 150mph shunt into a tyre wall.

From second on the grid, and with Ferrari's Felipe Massa the only man in front of him, the Finn could reasonably have expected to be on the podium.

But on the run down to turn one at the Istanbul Park circuit, the 26-year-old was clipped from behind by compatriot Kimi Raikkonen in his Ferrari, sustaining a puncture to his left-rear tyre.

That forced Kovalainen into an unscheduled pit stop, resuming at the back of the field, and despite scything his way through on several occasions, his efforts were in vain as he could only finish 12th.

With no points from the last two races, Kovalainen finds himself 21 adrift of current championship leader Raikkonen, a considerable gap even at this early stage of the season.

"It was a day of frustration and not the race I was planning, but what can I do?" reflected Kovalainen.

"I didn't even feel Kimi touch me, and I didn't even know I had a puncture with the left rear until the safety car came in (following a lap one accident).

"I was told the tyre was deflating. It's just one of those things, and it's a shame it happened because in the race I felt good.

"But the problem with my tyre cost me the race. We can't do much about it and we have to move on.

"Right now, though, my championship chances don't look very good do they?

"To be honest, I'm not thinking about the championship. I'm just focusing race by race, trying to improve my performances.

"In the first few races I scored decent points, but the only trouble-free race I've had so far was in Malaysia.

"With all the others I've had trouble at some point throughout the weekend, or in the race.

"Hopefully we can turn things around, have a bit more luck and get some more points."

At least in Istanbul Kovalainen felt happier behind the wheel of the McLaren than at any other point in the season.

"I have a feeling that potentially the car is very fast. All the way through the weekend I was happy," added Kovalainen.

"It was the most competitive weekend I've had. I felt very good and hopefully it can carry on like this."

Although Kovalainen is wary of tempting fate ahead of the next two races in Monaco and Montreal that should be good for McLaren, he is cautiously confident.

He added: "I don't want to make too many predictions, but if this kind of trend continues then the chances are I'll be really good."

No comments: